After some careful consideration, my plans for 2018 baseball (a West Coast flight/road trip combo, and a marathon road trip spanning from Texas to Florida to Toronto) have been changed…
For the better. I am not dropping any of those plans, but I will be adding another stop to the tour. I haven’t seen Coors Field since 2013 and since the Rockies are using commemoratives next year and I am wanting to make some new memories there, the time is kind of perfect.
The foolish side of me considered another road trip – probably 24-26 hours round trip through a BORING Iowa and Nebraska. But then I got to thinking, “Some of these flights on the way out/back to/from Los Angeles stop in Denver. I wonder if…”
I checked the schedule and saw that the Rockies host the Brewers on the weekend we would be coming back. Then I checked flight prices for this additional extended layover (more like weekend destination) and was shocked to see if almost remaining the same price. So I am pretty much bound by law to hit up Coors Field, right?
So now the schedule looks something like this:
West Coast Trip (May 2018):
- 5/7/2018 – Nationals @ Padres (cross off Petco Park from the list)
- 5/8/2018 – Diamondbacks @ Dodgers (cross off Dodger Stadium from the list)
- 5/10/2018 – Nationals @ Diamondbacks (cross off Chase Field from the list, snag a 20th anniversary commemorative?)
- 5/11/2018 – Twins @ Angels (cross off Angel Stadium from the list)
- 5/12/2018 – Brewers @ Rockies (hit up Coors for the second time, first *really* ballhawking, snag a 25th anniversary commemorative?)
- 5/13/2018 – Brewers @ Rockies (hit up Coors for the third time, snag a Mothers Day commemorative?)
Mega Road Trip (August/September 2018):
- 8/31/2018 – Orioles @ Royals (hit up Kauffman Stadium for the fourth time, snag a 50th season commemorative?)
- 9/1/2018 – Twins @ Rangers (cross off Globe Life Park from the list)
- 9/3/2018 – Phillies @ Marlins (cross off Marlins Park from the list)
- 9/5/2018 – Royals @ Cleveland (cross off Progressive Field from the list)
- 9/6/2018 – Cleveland @ Blue Jays (cross off Rogers Centre – and all of Canadian baseball – from the list)
- 9/7/2018 – Cardinals @ Tigers (cross off Comerica Park from the list)
Does that sound like a busy enough year?
- 5,653+ miles driven
- 3,069 miles in flight
- 8,722+ total miles traveled
That means I will have only driven about 45% of the miles I did last year, and traveled about 69% of the total miles traveled from 2017. A significant reduction – a welcome ease on my mental health and wallet – while still visiting 12 total stadiums. Sure, one of those stadiums is Target Field, and I’ve already been to Kauffman and Coors, but picking up 9 new ones is nothing to scoff at.
Now if you are reading this, if you want to be part of the At The Gates podcast, and/or if you frequent one of these parks and would be so kind as to help me out, I would greatly appreciate any tips, tricks, or help with early entry (season ticket holder access, etc.). You will definitely get thanked in the subsequent blog posts and name dropped on the podcast (and have an open invite to join me on the show). …And I’d definitely return the favor when you come to visit Target Field.